Thursday 3 June 2010

Barberry Geometer?

On the whole, not many moths seen in May, and most of them were difficult to identify geometrids. Only 2 Noctuids (of the same species), and the occasional micro. It has been cold and wet much of the time. After many near mothless nights I was glad to find these two 'new' species on the outside wall on May 29th. I am saying the first is a barberry geometer, a common moth in these parts so the books say. I guess its larvae eat Oregon grape of which there is plenty around. However, to my eyes it is awfully similar to the Tissue moth differing only in minor features in terms of wing pattern at least... The discal spot - which I persuaded myself existed on this one - is the clincher. I may change my mind.

Barberry Geometer - Coryphista meadii


unknown (one of a growing list of unkown Geometer photos). I think it is somewhere in the Caberini but not even certain of that.


Two nights ago, there was also a species of pug I haven't seen here before, brownish, quite large at an inch wingspan. If it comes back I will try to photograph and id.

No comments:

Post a Comment